Buca Route

 
We have information today that shows there has been settlement in vicinity of Buca in Ancient Era. A bust of a woman from ancient era found north-east of Buca in 1868 and then transferred to British Museum, is mentioned. In the Byzantine era there has been a village named Thriz (oak tree), 5 km. east of Buca, where is called Lundru or Lundruka Farm. Bricks, trimmed pieces of marble, broken columns, column headings with Byzantine cross reliefs, marble floorings thought to belong Ancient Artemis temple in the vicinity of Kangölü, Kozağacı as well as marble tables and seats, cantharuses full of human bones in caves in Kangölü valley and Byzantine sesterces around Forbes mansion are brought into daylight.
Download Route Map
 

Buca Highschool / Baltacı Mansion

Demostanis Baltacı is one of the Levants of İzmir who had worked with Osmanlı Hamdi Bey and held archaeological excavations. In his mansion, existence of a fine culture on either main building or garden architecture can even be felt today. This building is one of the oldest buildings in Buca. This is the place where Abdülaziz stayed in Buca during his visit to İzmir in 1863. Although not yet certain, the mansion is thought to have been passed into possession of Ispartalıyan, a rich merchant from İzmir in 1890's. It was bought by Greece National Bank for 120.000 banknotes in 19th century. Later Venizelos donated it to İzmir Greek Community to be used as an orphanage for children of casualties of war. Orphans staying here are transferred to Greece by American Red cross in 1922. Passing into Turkish State's possession on that date, the mansion was donated to Mustafa Kemal Pasha. But Pasha wanted it to be turned into a school building. Hence the mansion has been used as a school building since 1930's. Dimostanis Baltacı Mansion, preserving its nostalgic structure with pools and sculptures inside, is today used as an outbuilding of Buca High-school.

Forbes Mansion

It is the most spectacular and magnificent one among Levantine Mansions in Buca. Out of the urban fabric, placed on top of a hill covered by a pine grove, it is purporting to be a crown capping the hill with its structural form. On two floors it is heightened with a steep roof. Corner block, in the form of a tower bringing an additional value to the building, gives it a commanding character. Both plan and form of the building bring it a unique character. But it is hard to connect this character with a specific architectural order. The mansion is known to have been built in 1908, burnt down one year later and rebuilt in 1910 to wear its current appearance. Forbes Family is known to have been rich through exportation of antimony and licorice. After departure of Forbes Family from İzmir, Whittall Family lived in Forbes Mansion. Today the mansion is non-resident.

Nursing Home / Manoly Hotel

It is built in 1838. This building is interesting in some ways: It is the oldest one among those which have an epigraph. Construction is made of frames with massive core in between. Although it is old, architecture it reflects is of a high level and quality. The entrance clearly reflects the characteristics of the era in which mounts are used for transportation. Although not yet certain, it is known as the oldest hotel of Buca used by Levantines visiting Buca.

SSK Building / De Jong Mansion

De Jong Mansion with an appearance of a rich villa is predicted to have been built in 1800's. De Jong Family which is thought to have left Buca in early 20th century sold the mansion back then to an Italian businessman. We know that backyard of the mansion was used as a tennis club for a while and then changed into a sanatorium with a couple of additions. De Jongh Mansion, restored in different periods, is of SSK's possession today.

NATO Building

This school was built by Americans, in 1912, on the terrain facing Meles creek south to the region that is called Kızılçullu back then and Şirinyer today. It had been used as American Boys' High-school for years. It was among few schools Levantine families in İzmir attended. It served as a Village Institute after declaration of Turkish Republic. It is passed to NATO late 1953. With a rectangular form this college is of two floors. Additionally, a penthouse is placed between rectangular, four-divided, protuberant, tower like divisions on the corners. The entrance gate of the building with shape of a four floored tower is sticked out. Between the floors of the tower are transversal reliefs. There are thin and long rectangular windows on two floors on the round-arched gate. A round-scaled clock is placed on fourth floor ending up with a balcony.

Faculty of Education / Rees Mansion

Rees Family, one of the leading Levantine families in İzmir, is known as locals of Buca for a couple of generations. We know that they were resident in Buca throughout their lives, lived somewhere else for a while and then built Rees Mansion and settled here. It is understood that Rees Family was fond of horses as they had a hippodrome built for horse races on the flat area between Buca and Şirinyer. Besides, studs north of garden of the mansion survived until today. It is stated, on the epigraphs in stained-glass compositions, that coloured stained-glasses with artistic value on windows of the Protestant Church which is still being used as a church in Buca, were procured by Rees Family and donated to the church. During transfer of Buca Protestant Church to Buca Municipality in 1961, these stained-glasses were transferred and mounted to St. John Evangelist Church... Although not certain, mansion is predicted to have been built at the same time Farkoh Mansion was. Architectural character of Rees Mansion reflects a rational and sombre expression. Both outer form and indoors are fitted on a plain geometry. Details are suitable with and specific to nature of material used. Ceramic composition surrounding the fireplace in the main entrance hall reflects an artistic expression as if it was curved by a sculptor. The mansion is now serving for Buca Faculty of Education.

Faculty of Education / Russo Mansion

The mansion was nationalised under Rahmi Bey’s governorship, during First World War and used as girls' boarding teaching school. It was given back to its owners at the end of war and after Rees Family left İzmir late 1930's it was nationalised again and put into service for educational purposes. Opposite to the old architectural order dominant in old Buca houses, the building was built with stylistic purposes as an expression of social status. Reflecting no specific movement, it has a unique composition with different motives from baroque to art nouveau. Its historical fabric is preserved while being restored.

Municipal Culture Centre / Davut Mansion

The mansion belongs to Davut Farkoh, one of notables in Buca. Hammam and other utilities were placed in the rear part of backyard. It has a plan that evokes “karnıyarık” (a traditional Turkish architectural plan) order in Istanbul houses. Facade split into three, main gate with three coves and outer architecture are similar to those in Ispartalıyan Mansion. After being used as Municipality of Buca Service Building for long years, Davut Farkoh Mansion was put into service as Buca Municipality Culture and Art Centre and Library following Municipality of Buca's moving to its new service building in 2000.

Yapı Kredi Guest House / Gavrili Mansion

It is a building of architect Vafiyedis. Definite divisions of surface tissues of ground floor and upper floors, brick frieze surrounding all four sides of the building, semicircle coves and pediments on the windows, rosette motives under the windows are features specific to this building. Although it is known that Pengelli Family had been living here until recently, it is said that it belongs to Gavrili Family. Today it is used as Yapı Kredi Bank Guest House.

Protestant Church

It was put into service as Protestant Anglican church in 1834. This relatively small building has a characteristic construction. On one end of cross-like plan is chorus and church altar and on the other end is entrance and cloakroom. Organ platform and priest room are on the other two edges. Inner dome of central hall shows a wooden construction based upon an interesting geometry. Coloured stained-glasses with an artistic value on neo-gothic windows of the church had been transferred to Protestant St. John Evangelic Chapel in Alsancak in 1960. Municipality of Buca had used the church building as a culture centre until 2001. With a special official permission to worship, through a protocol signed by Turkish Protestant community and Municipality of Buca in 2001, the building got back to its original purpose. Organ of the church is also a true historical artefact. It is written on the organ: “T.B.OWEN Rees ESQ.R Mrs. Rees as a Thanks for saving our family during World War I and not taking lives of any members of our family we consecrate this organ to god.”

Buca Catholic Church

There were 5 churches used by Christian folks and schools run by them before 1922. The Catholic Church, still being used as a church, is named St. Jean Church. Although we have no information about the origin of the church, it gives the impression that its general structure is preserved.

Paradiso Aqueducts

We know that caravans used to pitch where there is NATO building today. Kervan Bridge, built on Melez Creek in once Kızılçullu, takes its name from these caravans. Aqueducts, still standing on Melez Creek with magnificence, attract attention at first in the entrance from İzmir to Şirinyer today (once “Paradiso” and “Kızılçullu”). These aqueducts used to carry water to İzmir during Roman era of 133 BC – 395 AD. Tons of egg white is used for construction of these aqueducts built by Romans in two lines. Thanks to egg white with a high cementing property, Aqueducts of Kızılçullu are still standing after surviving Byzantine, Seljukian and Ottoman eras.

The Maiden's Tower

Unless being in vineyards and olive plants until a short time ago, the tower is now within urbanized area and belongs to Levantine Hacı Andoniyadis. This stone building, based on a wide ground and built in a conical shape, is climbed by a ladder rounding the upper side of the building from outside. There is a conical rooftop on the circular terrace on top in the shape of a minaret balcony. This tower house, abandoned after death of Hacı Andonyadis, became a meeting point for youngsters. Young girls and lads of Buca at the age of marriage used to gather: girls on the tower and lads around. This Tower House along history became Maiden Tower.

Sorority

It was centre for priests' education in Buca. We have little information. It serves as a sorority today.

Göksu Roman District

Municipality of Buca built a pedestrian street for Roman citizens living in Göksu District, Buca. Within this pedestrian street project reflecting unique lifestyles of Roman citizens, sub-structure works had been carried out on the street of 1000 metres, electric, water, telephone and drainage systems are buried underground. Illumination appliqués were mounted. An amphitheatre with an adequate capacity for Roman festivals is built. And sculptures of Roman people playing clarinet, darbuka, and violin and dancing were put up on the street. Additionally the street was entirely painted with different compositions specific to Roman lifestyle by students from DEU Buca Faculty of Education Painting Department.

Gölet (Pond)

One of the best-loved recreational areas and places of amusement of Buca, Gölet is established on a land of 167 decares. Restaurants, barbecue division, delicatessen, amphitheatre, picnic area, Ada Café, observation platforms, playgrounds for kids, market and parking area are within Gölet. Preferred by thousands of people in different seasons of the year, Gölet also hosts activities like concerts, theatres etc.

Hippodrome

Within Hippodrome, the address of horse race fans in İzmir, are barns, horse hospital, riding paddocks along with racetracks. Şirinyer Hippodrome is hosting race fans in social facilities like panoramic and garden restaurants, country café and kids playground.

Hasan Ağa Park

Following death of Italian originated Levantine businessman Aliotti in Buca, his estate was put up for sale by his inheritors and bought by Sarıgöllü Hasan Ağa, one of Ödemiş notables in 1926. Hasan Ağa had two houses built, one on north the other on south-west corner of the garden and rent out the main mansion with service lodges and vineyard mansion. The garden, having been burnt down early 1930's, has been kept open to public access as a picnic area for Buca folks along the time it is owned by Hasan Ağa. Hence it is named Hasan Ağa Garden. Within this large land today, are tracks for skateboarding, playgrounds, walking and running tracks, biking tracks and green field.

Forbes Pedestrian Street

The 2,5 kilometers long Forbes Street, starting from Şirinyer Seda Patisserie and ending in front of Buca SSK Hospital, is home for many activities and pageants. It became an entertainment and recreation venue after the additional street being put into service to lighten traffic load. In this street, transformed into a colourful flower garden by Parks and Gardens Directorate, also known as Sevgi Yolu (Love Street), there are sitting groups, pools, flowing creeks and a mini amphitheatre for youngsters to carry out cultural activities.

Bars and Cafés Street

In this area, from DEU Faculty of Education Campus vicinity to Şirinyer exit, are bars, cafés, karaoke centres and shopping centres. Going deep into these streets you will see that the area appeals to all senses of entertainment.

Butchers Square

Having been a meeting point for butchers in the town for long, Butchers Square keeps its name within Buca with new arrangements. While the square is being reorganized within underground parking garage project, Buca folks continue to get service from butchers in this long-established square.



SUBMIT

Kendi etkinliğinizi, mekanınızı kaydolarak sisteme ekleyebilirsiniz.
Register

NEWSLETTER

Hiçbir etkinlikten eksik kalmayın izmirguide bültenine abone olun.

CONTACT US

Soru ve önerileriniz için bize yazın.
Get In Touch