Churches Route

 
Churches route.
 

Aya Vukla Cultural Centre

Built in the neighborhood which was named after this church in 1886, Aya Vukla (Saint Vukolos) Cultural Centre is an Eastern Orthodox Church located in Kapılar District, Etiler Neighborhood between the streets 1257, 1274 and 1281. Although the other Eastern Churches in the city burnt because of İzmir fire broken out in 1922, Ayavukla Church was not affected from it. After Rums left İzmir through exchange, the church lost its function and became vacant. The building was arranged as İzmir Archeology Museum in February 1927 and it was open until the museum in Kültürpark started to give service in 1951. Called also as “Sectioned Church”, the building was used as depot later and allocated to İzmir General Directorate of State Opera and Ballet for a definite period. In recent years, the figure of Jesus and the frescos symbolizing Saint John Chrysostom and angels Michael and Gabriel which were hidden under the paint were brought to light again by means of the restoration studies made on the neglected and run-down church. Outbuilding of the church was arranged as ‘İzmir Press Museum’ and taken into service. Some of the exhibited items which shall also evoke the important events and memories of the famous names with regard to press history in Press Museum contain the jumper of Metin Göktepe, the first computer of Uğur Mumcu and typewriter of Abdi İpekçi. The church is used in the cultural and art activities.

Saint Polycarp Church

Saint Polycarp Church is one of the oldest buildings of İzmir in the intersection area of Gazi Osman Paşa Boulevard, Necatibey Boulevard and Kazım Dirik Street. The church was dedicated to Bishop of İzmir, St. Polycarp who left between 69 and 155, was one of the first students of St. John and canonized afterwards. Although Roman governors pressurized Polycarp very much in order to dissuade him from his belief, he persisted, so he was murdered by being burnt in Rome Stadium on the foothill of Kadifekale on February 23, 155. Present church named after him was constructed in 1625 through the permission of Sultan Süleyman. It was repaired after the big fire in 1880. Being renovated again in 1775 through the permission of Ottoman bodies and with support of Louis 16, the church took the form of a three-naved basilica. The building was decorated during the restoration between 1892 and 1898 by being extended with chapels. At the end of the last century, young French artist, painter and architecture Raymond C. Pere who lived in İzmir reflected the life story of St. Polycarp on the frescos he made inside the church. With its repaired form, the church is a three-naved rectangular basilica with bema-sectioned dome in the direction of east-west now. There is a bell tower rising from the south of the western front.

Notre Dame Lourdes Catholic Church

Located in street 81 of Göztepe, Notre Dame Lourdes Catholic Church still maintains its structural characteristics. Even, its street is still called “Church Street”.

Bayraklı Saint Antoine Catholic Church

It is a Catholic Church located between the streets 1610, 1611 and 1641 in the Neighborhood of Bayraklı Fuat Edip Baksı. Foundations of the church were laid in 1902 and its first floor was completed. It was opened with a ceremony where the Assistant of Pope attended in 1902. In the next years, the monastery near the church was turned into an Italian school with six classes and a cemetery which could not survive until today was added next to the church. The church was made from rectangular-planned face stone and brick. Its three-sectioned asperity is positioned outward and covered with hipped roof. The church has round-arched lank windows in gothic style. One of its bell towers was demolished due to earthquake and only the tower made of face stone which is adjacent to main place could survive until today. The church got damaged in the earthquake in 1966. Repaired together with the next monastery in 1990, it could come until today in good condition. 1610 Sokak 5, Bayraklı

Saint Helen Catholic Church

Being the first Catholic Church of Karşıyaka, St. Helen Church was built on the land allocated to Catholic community related to the priest, Don Alfonso Vallery living in Karşıyaka, at the end of the 19th century with the support of Count Nikolai Alliotti. Raymond Pere is the architect who planned the church receiving donations from Muslims in Karşıyaka during the construction and managed its construction. Additionally, he also planned Konak Clock Tower and the famous arch of St. Polycarp Church. Interior architecture of the church was renewed in 1968 and special attention was paid to historic fabric during the renewal. Façade has not been changed until now. Skillful workmanship in façade of the church turns into art inside. Stained-glasses of French saints and aves exist on neogothic windows and walls of the church contain reliefs figuring the life of Jesus. Besides, the marble statues of Ave Helen and Saint Constantine were placed on four squares of the church. The street of the church is called ‘Church Street’. 1729 Sokak 53, Karşıyaka

Aya Fotini Church

Aya Fotini Church is the Eastern Orthodox Church which was located in Mahmudiye (Yaladika) part of Frenk Street before the big fire in 1922. Built in 1658, Aya Fotini was rebuilt in 1690 after being demolished in the earthquake in 1688. It became Metropolitan in the following years and became the symbol of Rums living in İzmir. A tower bell having a height of 33 meters in conjunction with the death age of Jesus was erected in 1856 on the church which was positioned inside after the shore was filled. In 1892, a big clock was added to the bell tower, the pride of Rums in İzmir due to being the highest building of İzmir. Today, chapel of this church is located right across Behçet Uz Children’s Hospital… 1374 Sokak 24, Alsancak

Santa Maria Catholic Church

The church in Halit Ziya Boulevard is an Italian Catholic Church where Franciscan priests work. Located in Pasaport region, the church was dedicated to Mother Mary and opened to worship in 1689. The building which became devastated in 1889 was rebuilt. Despite that façades of the church are quite simple, its main entrance façade in the east has an elaborate workmanship. This façade was divided into two by horizontal graded moldings and ended with a triangle frontal. The church has a plan scheme of single-naived basilica in east-west direction. In the east, there is a three-unit narthex divided by two proportions whereas a bema with eight pieces which is covered by the centered monitor dome exists in the west. Except the boards including the portraits of Jesus and Mother Mary, glamorizations were used intensely indoor.

Saint John Baptist Church

It is a Protestant Church located in Buca, in Street 81, no. 23. The church building was opened as Protestant Anglican Church in 1834. The church building was built as a small village church in the form of a chapel. Upon the decree of Ottoman Sultan Abdülaziz, the building was renewed. This building having a small scale has a characteristic construction. There is entrance and coat check across the altar on one side of the cross plan and organ section and priest room exist on the other side. There is a central heating mechanism under this room. Inner dome of the central hall exhibits a geometry-based wooden construction. Colorful stained-glasses on neo-gothic windows of the church were transferred to Protestant St. John Evangelist chapel in Alsancak in 1961.

Saint Jean Dome Cathedral

Before 1922, there were five churches used by the community of Christians and schools administered by them. Saint Jean Dome Cathedral is a Catholic church in Buca District and is still used. Although former status of the church was not known, it gives the impression that its general structure has been maintained.

Saint Mary Magdalene Anglican Episcigal Church

This Anglican Church is located in Bornova County, Gençlik Street No. 20. It is one of three sub-churches of Great Anglican Church and its foundation was laid on a date coinciding with the establishment date of Levant Company at the end of the first quarter of the 17th century. The church was built for the Anglican Community living in Bornova in 1857 by the first Whittall settled in Turkey, Charlton Whittall. It became the only worship place for great Anglican community in Bornova.

Bornova Santa Maria Church

Bornova Santa Maria Church is a Catholic Church in the address of Bornova, Street 80, and number 5. The building constructed in Byzantium style in 1797 by the Members of Franciscan Communion underwent a small restoration in 1832.

Saint John Evangelist Church

It is an Anglican Church located in Alsancak District, Mahmut Esat Bozkurt Street, and No 49. It was opened in April 07, 1902. The church is also a part of the British Consulate.

Saint Jean Cathedral

It is a Catholic Cathedral located in Alsancak District, Şehit Nevres Boulevard, number 29. Started to be built in 1862, the church was opened in 1874. Main altar is the gift of Pope Pion 9. It is known that Sultan Abdülaziz gave a vast amount of gold to be used in the construction of Catholic Church in 1863. The church has been still used by both the Protestant Community and the Catholic Community. It is close to Turkish American Association.

Notre Dame De St. Holy Rosary Church

It is a Catholic Church in the address of Alsancak District, Street 1481, and number 8. Constructed in 1850 for the first time, the building was demolished and reconstructed by taking today’s form.



SUBMIT

Kendi etkinliğinizi, mekanınızı kaydolarak sisteme ekleyebilirsiniz.
Register

NEWSLETTER

Hiçbir etkinlikten eksik kalmayın izmirguide bültenine abone olun.

CONTACT US

Soru ve önerileriniz için bize yazın.
Get In Touch