Mosques on Foot

 
The oldest mosque of İzmir is Aydınoğlu Mosque in Bornova and it is known to be built in the 14th century. On this route of mosques, a walking route from Çorakkapı Mosque in Basmane to Yalı Mosque in Konak is considered.
Download Route Map
 

Çorakkapı (Taşrakapı) Mosque

Located next to Basmane railway station, Çorakkapı (Taşrakapı) Mosque seems like being at the end of the Turkish neighborhoods with its surrounding wide cemetery, madrasa and other structures. It is the mosque in which the caravans coming to İzmir of Ottoman “gave thanks”. Needless to say, the Turkish bath next to it was a location visited before the mosque. Pay special attention to elegant minaret and dome of this mosque.

Fettah Mosque

One of the oldest mosques of İzmir which are still used. Located at the corner of the Streets 1297 and 1298, Fettah Mosque was built probably in the 17th century. Evliya Çelebi giving the name of "Abdulfettah Çavuş" for this mosque mentions it as “tiled but thriving”. New restoration of the mosque is not successful, but it is one of the scarce mosques with double minarets...

Faikpaşa Mosque

Faikpaşa Mosque which gave the name of a neighborhood of İzmir at the beginning of the 16th century is located in the Streets 965 and 967. Evliya Çelebi says that its stone dome is covered with lead, so its fundamental structure is one of the best examples of Turkish woodworking. The mosque made of face stone and rubble stone has a rectangular plan and is covered with a wooden roof. The ceiling covering this roof and the worship section was supported by thirteen columns. The woodworking made in the 18th century is worth seeing… The date of 1842 written in its inscription is the repair date.

Han-Bey (Pazaryeri) Mosque

Han-Bey (Pazaryeri) Mosque is the mosque of İzmir which is worth seeing because of only its mihrab… The zawiya near this mosque in Street 948 was removed in the 1950s.

Emir Sultan Lodge

Built on behalf of the assistant of Aydınoğlu Gazi Umur, Mükerremeddin Emir Sultan who was responsible for the conquest of İzmir, Emir Sultan Lodge is one of the oldest religious structures of İzmir… The famous traveler, İbn Battuta visited this lodge in 1333. According to travel book of İbn Battuta, Emir Sultan Lodge was one of the first Rufai Dervish lodges in Anatolia. It has a 600-year lodge past until 1925, closing year of the lodges. It changed hands for many times throughout history. The lodge functioned as the place of worship for the cults of Celveti, Naqsh and Sadi. But it seems as Rufai lodge in recent records. Very few parts of the large social complex survived until today. It consisted of whirling house, food bank, guesthouse, shrine, burial area, well and a Turkish bath. In the burial area, graves of lodge’s sheiks and the leading dervishes from the other periods exist as well. Grandfather of Latife Hanım (Atatürk’s wife), Uşşakizade Sadık Bey and his wife, Makbule Hanım; former Aydın Governor, Ahmet Esat Pasha; the founder of Kestanepazarı Mosque, Egyptian Hüseyin Nuri Efendi; İzmir Kadi, Şükrüzade Abdülkadir Pasha… Two lines of the headstone of Hatice Hanım which is among the headstones in the burial area are as follows: “This world is mortal world seeming like a shadow play / I’ve never seen anybody still existing in the world…”

Hatuniye Mosque

There was a wide madrasa previously next to Hatuniye Mosque located at a corner between Anafartalar Road and Street 943. It was built by a charitable woman named Tayyibe Hatun at the beginning of the 17th century. Covered by a big dome and two small domes, the mosque with double additions and an intermittent plan was repaired considerably in 1737. The beginning of Ramadan and the Fest was announced from this mosque in İzmir for long years.

Kurşunlu Mosque

Located in Namazgâh Square, Kurşunlu (Namazgâh) Mosque is one of the oldest mosques of the city. It was supposed that it was built by Yavuz Sultan Selim. In front of the mosque, there is a platform with 3 m height where the azan is recited in the small yard. The wooden roof of the main location is covered with tiles.

Kestane Pazarı Mosque

In order to proceed on the tour of mosques beginning from Basmane in Kemeraltı, Havra Street should be passed. At the end of this street, Kestanepazarı Mosque welcomes you with its Baroque ambiance… The mosque is named from its district. It was built by the son of Emin, Hacı Ahmet Ağa in 1663. Made of face stone and rubble stone, the two-floored mosque has shops and depots on its ground floor. Today, the expenses of this mosque are covered by the income of the shops on the ground floor. There is a narthex with three domes in front of the mosque to which we go up the stairs and the narthex was surrounded by a window wall in recent history. It has a square worship plan. Its top is covered with a dome having a squinch. Main dome is supported by small domes at the corners. A section which was brought from İsa Bey Mosque in Selçuk in the 19th century was added on the upper part of the niche-shaped mihrab. Having a round body and a balcony, minaret of the mosque in its west side was built on a base made of face stone. Fettullah Gülen worked here for long years. His preaches were listened by thousands of people here.

Şadırvan Mosque

Located on the shore of the Former Inner Port, Şadırvan Mosque was named from a fountain with eight columns which are near and below the mosque. Therefore it is also called as Şadırvanaltı Mosque. The mosque was made and repaired in 1636 and 1815, respectively. Columns of the fountain are matchless. Likewise, the pictures in the ceiling covering the top of the fountain present several views of İzmir from the 18th century. The mosque is on a high basement and there is a big bazaar below it, so the stairs have two separate entrances from the north and the west. The stairs going to the north gate were dilapidated and closed later and shops were made instead of it. Nowadays, the narthex is entered by going up 29 steps in the west. The dome was glamourized with hand-carved works. These hand-carved works make up the perfect works of the period. Mihrab is quite wide and was taken into a round arch. Two ionic columns exist on both sides of mihrab. Made of face stone, the minaret in south of the mosque has a round body and a balcony. This minaret was repaired in 1941.

Hisar Mosque

Several sources state that Hisar Mosque was converted from a Latin Church whereas some other sources assert that it was built in 1597-98 by Aydınoğlu Özdemiroğlu (Molla) Yakup Bey. Besides, it is mentioned in the sources that this mosque converted from a Latin Church was demolished by Timur in 1402. Since the mosque is located in front of the Lower Gate of Hisar, it was named as Hisar Mosque. The mosque was repaired in 1298 (1881) according to the inscription on the garden gate of the mosque. Being one of the biggest and most magnificent structures of İzmir, it got damaged in the earthquakes in 1813, 1868 and 1881. It was also repaired for many times. A narthex was added to front side of the mosque in 1813. The mosque made of face stone and rubble stone has a square plan and is covered with a central dome placed on eight elephant feet and six domes supporting the central dome. Three gates can be used to enter the worship area from the narthex in the west. The narthex was covered with seven domes born by eight columns which are connected to each other through round arches. Recently, front side of the narthex was closed by a window wall. Wooden minbar inside the mosque is made of mother of pearl inlaid and is extraordinarily important with regard to art history… Mihrab is shaped like a round niche. Interior of the mosque is covered with hand-carvings made in the 18th and 19th centuries. Its minaret with a round body and a balcony was built on the base made of face stone. Its minaret was renewed in 1927.

Salepcioğlu Mosque

Located behind Great Salepçioğlu Inn, Salepcioğlu Mosque was built between 1897 and 1907 by the force of the testament of Salepçizade Hacı Ahmet Efendi under the control of İzmir Kadi, Mehmet Emin Efendi. Its significant feature is being a high structure. It was designed consistently in the axis of the main symmetry in such a way that the upper floor and the lower floor are the mosque and madrasa, respectively. Hüdavendigar Mosque in Bursa having the mosque and madrasa similarly can be shown as another example of this structure. Walls of the ground floor used as madrasa in the mosque were constructed through consecutive order of the red and green face stones. The jambs and the king posts supporting the iron railings of the yard are made of red stone. There are four marble fountains on both sides of the main entrance and on both sides outside and inside. Today, one of the inner fountains and two of the outer fountains on the left side of the entrance are used. Considering the features of the mosque’s construction period, we can say that the most developed construction technology was applied. A double curved stair mechanism in baroque style reach the yard from both sides of the entrance on the ground floor. The yard is completely covered with marble parquets. Niche of the mihrab is gray. Curved curtain processed with marble which is the original element of the mihrabs in İzmir mosques ornaments mihrab. Apliques with three lamps on eight columns and the central chandelier are examples of the crystal craftsmanship of high quality in that period. Madrasa section is used as quran course nowadays…

Başdurak (Hacı Hüseyin) Mosque

Located at the corner where Anafartalar Road and Kemeraltı Street 863 link with each other, Başdurak Mosque is known to be founded by Hacı Hüseyin, so it also called Hacı Hüseyin Mosque. The Mosque in an area which was called “Başoturak” in the past years was started to be mentioned as “Başdurak” in time, because it was mentioned more easily in daily language. We can reach the oldest information about Başdurak Mosque built together with a madrasa which was demolished on an unidentified date with an unidentified reason, from the Travel Book of Evliya Çelebi. There is no information about its foundation in the mosque, but the “Travel Book” mentions the existence of an inscription on the entrance gate stating that the mosque was built by a grain merchant, Hacı Hüseyin in 1652. However, the traces of this inscription are not found today. Instead of it, there is a repair inscription stating that the mosque was repaired in 1774. The second repair inscription of the mosque exists on inner and outer face of the yard gate’s cap stone. According to the inscription, the mosque got damaged considerably. It was repaired in 1894-95 with the help of the public. Tughra of Abdulhamid II which is the unique tughra of this sultan in İzmir exists in the mosque. You can see the hand carvings inside Başdurak Mosque from place to place. The marble reliefs in the entrance of minbar and on side backboards and the herbal ornaments made with openwork technique are worth seeing.

Kemeraltı Mosque

Built by Yusuf Çamazade Ahmet Ağa in 1671, Kemeraltı Mosque is located in Street 853 in Kemeraltı Bazaar on İzmir Anafartalar Road. Interior of the mosque was glamourized with hand carvings made in the 18th century. This glamorization was renewed based on the old traces during the repairs performed in the second half of the 20th century. Its minaret on the base made of face stone has a round body and a balcony. Next to the mosque, there is a public fountain built in the 18th century.

Şeyh Mosque

Located between the Streets 946 and 961 in Konak county, Sheik Mosque is named from Sheik Mustafa Efendi who is a caliph of Aziz Mahmud Hüdaî Efendi (his corpse is in the shrine next to the mosque) is a member of Halvetiye cult. It was the center of the strongest cult in İzmir before the Republic,“Halvetis”…

Hacı Mahmud Mosque

Located at the corner of the Streets 847 and 848, Hacı Mahmud Mosque is a nice mosque with its centuries-old cypress in its yard and cemeteries. There was a primary school next to the mosque in the past.

Yalı Mosque

Being the elegant ornament of Konak Square, Yalı Mosque is among the smallest mosques of İzmir. It was built by the daughter of Mehmet Pasha, Ayşe Hanım in 1754. A member of Union and Progress Association in the First World War, Governor Rahmi Bey repaired the mosque which got destroyed in the earthquake. An inscription mentioning this repair exists on the entrance gate. The pretty mosque with a dome and a minaret has the Classical Ottoman architectural style and an octagonal plan. Kütahya tiles surrounding the windows are the perfect examples of the period. Stone and brick were used together in its construction. A small dome placed on an octagonal hoop covers the worship section. Interior of the mosque was glamourized with tiles. Its minaret on the base made of face stone has a round body and a balcony.



SUBMIT

Kendi etkinliğinizi, mekanınızı kaydolarak sisteme ekleyebilirsiniz.
Register

NEWSLETTER

Hiçbir etkinlikten eksik kalmayın izmirguide bültenine abone olun.

CONTACT US

Soru ve önerileriniz için bize yazın.
Get In Touch